Vidéo de la semaine

XIA - FLOWER

8.07.2014

100 Theme Challenge #97

Sequel of #50#51#52#54#60#68 #69#70#73#74#76#79#81#88 and #91.

97. Courage

Part XVI - Epilogue

"I thought you'd be happier celebrating the end of your case with your wife," Kenneth told Jack, eyes unblinking and Jack gulped down his gin and tonic, eager to feel the burn as it slid down his throat. Kenneth chuckled.

"Barbara and I have a simple, yet complicated relationship, Jack replied.

"Aren't all the relationships the same?"

"Perphaps, but all are unique as well. Barbara always has her way of telling me when she's uspet and I can tell she's mad at me, but I couldn't tell you why."

"At least you know she's mad. I could never tell when James was mad…" At that his face fell, and he looked away for a second. "I can't believe I won't ever see him again."

"Well, some say you see your loved ones after you die, if that's any comfort." It was a bit lame, but Jack never knew what to say to people who lost someone. The only person he'd lost was his father, and that was years ago. The only thing he achieved with his son had been to make him know the taste of his own blood.

"Want one?" He offered Kenneth a cigarette, and the other accepted.

"Thanks. I'm never craving these except when I'm with you. I'm afraid you're creating me a new dependence, Mister Byrnes."

"You can call me Jack."

"So we're out with the formalities, now?"

Jack shrugged. "I'm not fancy enough for you to continue to call me Mister."

Kenneth scoffed. "Then call me Kenneth, because I'm not either. So what about that cigarette?"

Jack took one of his pack and lit it before he gave it to the other. "You're such a gentleman." Kenneth chuckled and thanked him.

"You were talking about you and your wife. You don't love her anymore?"

Jack looked at Kenneth and wondered what gave him away. Kenneth was more talented at perceiving others than he first thought.

"What makes you think that?" He asked, and Kenneth slowly exhaled smoke before he answered.

"Well, first you wouldn't be brooding this much in here, and secondly, you wouldn't want to hang with me." He smirked and offered back the smoking stick.

"Why wouldn't I want to?" Jack asked, and yet he already knew the answer.

Kenneth leaned towards him, cigarette still in hand, and put it himself between Jack's lips, brushing his digits against his bottom lip as he retreated them. "Because I'm a homosexual. You've been talking me about that waiting sensation is the reason you drink, but you never talked to me about your wife. I was wondering, why is he talking to me about this stuff, why is he talking to me period, even after you knew what I was. Tell me, Jack, did you ever discuss of your feelings with your wife?"

Jack was surprised, because no, he never talked of this with Barbara. Nowadays it was more about the weather and his cases than anything else. He took a long drag of the cigarette, eager for the drug to calm him. "She wouldn't understand."

"Or maybe you're not confident enough to let her know all of your secrets." Now Kenneth was pushing his buttons, and he glared at him.

"And you think you know everything of me? Tell me, Kenneth, what do you know of my secrets?" He gritted between his teeth, trying really hard not to yell at that smirking face. Kenneth didn't reply but drank what remained in his glass before he stood up. He went to leave before he turned around.

"Return to your wife, Mister Byrnes. Tell her you love her, and try to stop missing opportunities."

Kenneth disappeared through the door, and Jack made no attempt to follow him. He sighed and asked for another drink. He lit up another cigarette and finished it without noticing. He tried to distract himself with the boxing championship presented at the small television of the bar, to no avail. Kenneth's words swirled around and brought a bitter taste to his mouth even gin couldn't wash away.

"Hey there, Mister Byrnes. So how's the investigation going?" Sharon Porter asked him beside him. Jack hadn't even noticed she was here, and guilt filled him. He had been too engulfed by Kenneth's presence.

"It's finished, we found the culprit."

"Oh thank God. I thought the killer would return for me, or for the new bartender. He's quite talented, you see, maybe even more than that poor James, God have his soul. Now if only that damn waitress Ada could present herself on due time, that'd be fantastic. Say, do you want another drink, it'll be on the house," she debited faster than he thought could be possible, and he wondered if she breathed through at all. He once again compared her to a mouse, and for her to be able to keep steady a tray was beyond him.

"No, I think it's time I'm heading home, but thanks for the offer," he carefully answered as he rose up, putting on his coat. The wound on his side stung a bit as he moved, but nothing he couldn't endure, and alcohol dulled the pain.

"All right then, have a good night," she winked at him and took off. He dusted off his hat and placed it on his head. The wind flicked his duster coat around, and he picked another cigarette on the way to his car. He took the time to turn on the radio before he began the way back to his house. He would have to begin his report of the case first thing in the morning, but for now he would return to his wife, and maybe someday they would discuss seriously about having a kid. That was the right thing to do.

On the radio, that damn song was playing again.

I wish you joy, though teardrops burn
But if some day you should want to return
Please hurry back and we'll make a new start
Till then you're breaking my heart





The song is yet again You're breaking my heart, by Vic Damone. So it's the end of an epic journey, both for Jack and I. This is not the final version, of course, I planned to add and twitch up a few scenes before I release this story on Wattpad. 

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire

Let's be cray cray together!

I like